Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fanfiction, Fiction, Nonfiction, Poems/Song, and Songfics

So, from the title of this piece, I guess you know what I'm going to talk about today.  There are different genres to writing, but four big categories in my opinion.  Fiction, Nonfiction, Fanfiction, and Poems/Songs are the four categories I will be talking about today.  A couple points on both and my preference whether or not I write in that style.

Fiction is the most varied and the one most people know about.  It ranges from the supernatural, to mystery, to realistic, to historic...the list goes on and on.  Fiction is the general overview of that entire section of books most people, well at least me, like to read and write about.  It varies from the easy reading from a child, to the advanced and sometimes confusing adult books.  But they all have something in common.  They are fake.  They are not true, but they may be based on true events.  Every time a story is created in this general section of writing, there is a likely chance someone has written or thought of something similar to that idea.  That is why when some one creates an idea that is unique and interesting, the rest of the world grasps onto it and loves it.  Look at Harry Potter, amazing idea and unique.  Look at it now, a world wide phenomenon and no signs of slowing.  Now, other fiction writers write for the audience.  Take the Twilight series for example.  Yes, I have read them all, so I do feel within my power to comment on it.  Stephanie Meyer took a story idea that is common, and made it something more, and from there wrote more and more about it for her fans.  And yet there is a dedicated following to it some people dislike.  This genre also includes comics, and manga.  Both of which has their own style of writing, but includes the art of...well, art.  I will discuss more of this on a later time.

As for myself, I love to write in the fiction way.  It is fun, easy for me, and it is a challenge to create new ideas and situations people haven't thought of before.  However, it is also something that I dread, as there are hundreds of new writers entering the field every day.  Because of that, it makes a writer like myself strive for perfection and new and bolder ideas.  It's the only way to stand out in a crowded room.

Now, Nonfiction.  It is the style of writing dedicated for facts, and more facts.  This is all about science, math, history, and the truth.  These nonfiction books are usually backed up by sources from other books and encyclopedias.  Ever written an essay for a class?  That is nonfiction.  Ever read an autobiography?  That's nonfiction as well.  Nonfiction is a different style which requires hours upon hours of research.  and I am not talking about the kind of research you do for a last minute paper or idea.  I am talking about years of research.  And this result after the years is a book packed with ideas and facts about real life.  For me, it is a good thing to sit down and read something like that.  Some of my favorites are nonfiction books, because of the facts and the way the writer presents the work they have a love for.

But for me, writing nonfiction is not my cup of tea.  I love the facts, but I hate the research.  I believe at least for now that I would never end up becoming a nonfiction writer.

Poems/Songs are more lyrical than anything else.  This is in it's own category in my opinion because it can be both Fiction and Nonfiction, breaching both worlds with it's own lyrical, musical bridge.  Poems and songs move people in ways books can not.  Poems and Songs reach into our soul, that creative part of us, and move us in ways we can never imagine.  Listening to songs can make us cry, and reading poems can make us feel inspired.  For me, poems and songs are one and the same, only one has music and one doesn't.  I feel like because they are the same, they change us in ways no one can foresee.

I LOVE to write in this category, though it is hard to create new poems and songs.  If I continue anything in my life, it will be to write poems and songs.  That is a definite.

Fanfiction is a grey area with many writers.  For those of you who don't know, fanfiction is when the writer takes another author's work, like Harry Potter, and writes stories based off of that.  Fanfiction is part of the fiction category, and while it is a way for people to learn from their mistakes, others frown upon it.  Some call it lame, some say to write your own.  Here's the thing, people write fanfiction to keep the story alive, and to add ideas to make the series even better in their own opinion.  That has one of two effects.  Either really good ideas are incorporated, or the writer makes it into their own fantasy of the characters.  Usually the latter is so bad that people ignore them, because they choose what they want in the story, even if it isn't canon to the story.

For me, I do write fanfiction.  Way I see it, it is a valid way to practice your art of writing and to keep add ideas you like.  I don't like it when the story isn't mostly canon to the work, or if the story is just a bunch of nonsense.  And, I agree that it is lame in it's own way.  In that sense, the author must learn to write their own things, even if it does mean laving behind a fan base.  For myself, I continue writing fanfiction, for my own fans.  But, I do not condone the ideas that pop into my head about fanficiton being just for my own fantasies.  Fanfiction is also for the fans of the fiction it was comprised of.  And remember, Fanfiction isn't just about you, the writer as a fan, but for all fans.

Lastly, I wanna talk about Songfics.  Songfics are like fanfiction, but it is fanficiton to songs.  In this sense, the writer writes about a story based off of the song, but it doesn't have to be fanfiction necessarily.  This can be sometimes very good, or very bad.  That depends on the author and the song itself, and the idea that is incorporated to connect the two.  Usually though, the song is chosen because the writer has a passion for it, and therefore, the writer won't accept mediocrity.

I have written songfics, but not songfics for fanfiction.  My songfics end up based off songs that move me in some way, and I try to write a story based off of that particular song.  It has ended up good every time I write in this way, which is good.  I like this style because it allows me to write how I want, but it gives me guidelines for the genre and the style, as the song is the focal point in this case.

So, just a few thoughts on the different categories of writing.  I'll update soon, with most likely another essay.  What about?  I have no idea yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment