Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Musical Side of Writing: Poems, Songs, and Music.

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, so I'll post twice today.  Last time I wrote, I talked about the side of writing that involved illustrations, such as movies, comic books, and manga.  Today I'm going to discuss the musical side of writing.  This includes poems, songs, lyrics, and music.  All of them are are involved with rhythm, meter, music, rhyme...there are dozens of others terms I could state, but it all means one thing at the end.  It is about the music.

Poems, they are exactly music.  Some of them have rhythm, some of none.  Some are long and epic, and some are just short.  There isn't any set method to poems, they is just something lyrical and musical and rhythmical about poems that make them poems.  There isn't anything set about poems that make them poems, they just are.

Now, I've said this for a while, and if no one else has said it yet, I call it as my own saying.  "Poems are just lyrics to music, without music."  Poems have that feel to them that can be sometimes set to music.  Like music, it calls to a person's inner emotions, in a way that words in a book can't.  It says music calms the savage beast, that because music can make even the most savage or humans calm and soothed.

Poems are something of a mystery.  There isn't a law book out there to set a code about the nature of poems.  There isn't only poems about love.  There are poems about hate, lust, anger, love, joy, peace, wonder, amusement, laughter, war, astonishment, despair, discouragement, encouragement, depression...I could go on with a list to last forever.  Poems are something that tries to express human emotion, words to express what can not be expressed.

Poems are simply words that try to convey human emotion, something that can not be done, or something that will ever be fully accomplished.

Lyrics, I believe, are poems that have music with them.  Every lyric is carefully chosen, just as a poem is.  Every song is a story, every lyric a line that tells it.  It is impossible to go and write out something like that as short, bringing up the same emotion.  Lyrics for songs are one of the most important things for music, and without these lyrics, without a man behind the curtain as it were, the music would just be empty notes.

Songs express who we are, much like poems.  That is why I believe there is very little difference between song lyrics, poems, and music.  In a world full of technology and factual knowledge, it is good to go back to the roots and express ourselves in a way that goes back to our ancient days, where we danced and sung guttural songs in front of the fire.  Only, get rid of the fire, and change the songs to something newer, more cultural and wonderful for us.

A short little thing for now.  Another update soon, as in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment