Hi, I'm Zack. If you haven't figured it out by now, my love for God is closely seconded by my love for writing. I am young, and only semi-experienced in the ways of writing. But, this blog is not only for me to wet my feet as they say, but also for you, the reader, to look at my progress from beginning to end. I will be honest, like all people my age, I have a life outside of writing, and that takes away from the valuable time I have here to write and tell my stories. But that makes me even more dedicated to my craft, to work hard at my love with everything I have.
That reminds me of one of my favorite verses. James 2:17. In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. NIV. When I first heard this verse, I was actually struck by something. My faith, which at the time was new and weak, was dead without action? I was confused, and some small part of my mind grasped that verse, and took its practice to heart. Since then, I have placed myself in numerous opportunities to serve, and not only serve my church, but to serve others as well. For me, I find great joy in servicing others, even if it is something simple as moving a table for someone else. It is like the great missions in adventure books, or the objective in the latest first person shooter. Move the table, to complete the objective. And while anyone might have a great deal of joy when they beat an impossible part in a game, or getting their license, I get that same thrill by helping others in any way I can.
This mindset of mine has led me to different countries, different situations, and difficult times. But out of it I became a better man. I found a group of guys that have the same fire for the Lord that I have, and that their passions vary like mine, from music to skating to writing to leadership. For me, I found acceptance in this group of guys, and while everyday we take a step closer to being better men, we also find out ways to help each other. Being me, I can not sing at all, but I can serve and help set up sound equipment for them, or jot down lyrics when they write new songs. And when we have free time on our hands, we get to discuss whatever topics we want. At each discussion, I have learned that despite our walks of life and our differing passions, all of us are wise in our own right. And, at each discussion, I have felt the cog inside my mind work on new ideas and story ideas.
Perhaps that is why it took me so long to find friends. I moved to where I am now in the mid year of my public education. Meaning, finding friends who are decent humans in seventh grade was a task I was unwilling to do at the time. By the time my senior year rolled around, I became friends with some of the best people I know, and pretty much all of them have the same interests as me: God and writing and art and music. With them, I am able to talk and discover differing parts of my writing side. Parts of me I realize I like. Other parts of me I don't like, and I realize that it is not the path for me to take.
So why am I off on a tangent about my own life when I am talking about writing? Because I have a very simple philosophy. "If I manage to change someone's emotions, change someone's behavior, change someone's opinion, change someone's ideas or ideals, and if I can change a person at all, even if it is only a moment that they may or may not remember for the rest of their lives, then I can consider myself an author."
That is why I went on a tangent. I can service others by writing out the things that I want to. When I read fantasy adventure stories when I was a kid, it was to become a hero of old. When I read those mystery novels, I became a sleuth on par with Sherlock Holmes. People read to escape their own lives, to become something more even if it is only for the duration of a story. It is the same for the author. The author loses himself in the story, putting himself into it until it is almost like an autobiographical work of fiction. All that is missing is the true events and facts and the not the fictional, or nonfictional if the case may be, that are being read.
So, that is why I write all of my stories. That is why mind is in a constant state of thinking over ideas and plots and everything else that is required in stories. As for this blog, I am not exactly sure why I decided to start one, or what content is going to be in here. I would most likely post a few of my stories, a few originals, a few fan stuff I write. Maybe I can get to write down some poems and song lyrics and stuff. Maybe it will be just thoughts on whatever topic I want, which would most likely be something related to the writing world. Maybe a combination of all of them. I have no idea what yet, but I'll make a decision to do so real soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment